Philosophy & Mission
The Fox Chapel Area School District counseling program:
- Is standards driven and developmentally based
- Is comprehensive and equally accessible to all students
- Is focused on students' personal responsibility, basic need fulfillment, and individual decision making
- Is planned and coordinated by the school counseling team
- Is based on the importance of prevention while providing intervention and ongoing support
- Is strengthened by the collaboration, communication, and support of the administration, staff, parents or guardians and community
The counselors in Fox Chapel Area School District believe:
- All students have dignity, worth, and the potential to succeed
- Support from home, school, and community enhances all students' opportunity to reach their potential
- All students have individual differences that need to be addressed by all personnel through the use of teamwork and collaboration
- The interdependent areas of academic, career, ethical, social, emotional, and physical development are equally important to all students
- Abide by the ethical standards described by the American School Counselor Association
- Act as advocates for all students
- Provide and participate in professional development activities essential to maintain a quality school counseling program
Academic: School counselors will work the students and families to educate them regarding the relationship of academics to the world of work, life, home, and community.
Personal/Social: School counselors will assist each student in making decisions, setting goals, and exploring areas of interest in an effort to maximize each student's personal growth.
Career: School counselors will implement our career awareness development and planning curriculum to assist each student in making appropriate course selections, developing career awareness, and setting appropriate post-secondary goals.