Elementary Math Program Overview
Eight Standards for Mathematical Practice:
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
4. Model with mathematics.
5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
6. Attend to precision.
7. Look for and make use of structure.
8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Read more about the Standards for Mathematical Practice here: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Practice/
Fox Chapel Area Elementary Math Philosophy:
1. Establish unit and lesson plans aligned to PA Core State Standards
2. Build procedural fluency and conceptual understanding
3. Implement math tasks that promote reasoning and problem solving
4. Use and connect mathematical representations
5. Facilitate meaningful math discourse
6. Support productive struggle
7. Elicit and use evidence of student thinking
Eureka Curricular Resources:
In the grade level folders below, parents can access handbooks, tip sheets, and homework helpers by module that align to their child’s curriculum and instruction.
Elementary Math Parent Resource Guide
Our elementary teachers and administrators have also put together this very helpful and thorough Elementary Math Parent Resource Guide. Download it here:
•Great Minds: https://greatminds.org/math/parents
•Kahn Academy Eureka Math Help: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/engageny
•Illustrative Mathematics: https://www.illustrativemathematics.org
•Xtra Math: https://xtramath.org/#/home/index