School districts are required to participate in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast programs, as well as develop a wellness policy that address student nutrition and physical activity.
An effective, comprehensive school wellness policy includes:
- Nutrition education and physical activity goals
- Nutrition guidelines for all foods available on the school campuses
- Ways for parents, students, school administrators, the school board, the district's food services department, and the general public to get involved in developing and evaluating the wellness policy
- Other school-based activities designed to promote student wellness
- Plans for evaluating the school wellness policy
Fox Chapel Area Board Policy 246 outlines steps that the district is taking to address wellness in our schools.
Here is the Pennsylvania Department of Education's triennial assessment of Fox Chapel Area's wellness initiatives.
Nutritious Party Snack Menu
The Fox Chapel Area School District Food Services Department offers party packages that meet USDA guidelines for you to purchase for any celebration in the classroom.
Fruit-Tastic Fruity Tray
An assortment of seasonal fresh fruit served with a low-fat yogurt dip.
An assortment of fresh raw vegetables served with a low-fat ranch dip.
Whole-grain tortillas served with mild salsa & cheese
Crazy-Cracker with Trix Yogurt Tray
Assorted packaged graham crackers with Trix yogurt cups
*Price per person includes your choice of one of the following: milk, 100% fruit juice, or water. Paper supplies included. Please call the food services office at (412) 967-2502 for pricing or to order.
If you'd like to join Fox Chapel Area School District's wellness committee, please contact Dr. John McGee, Fox Chapel Area High School program principal, at (412) 967-2434 or Julie Geary, the district's food services manager, at (412) 967-2502.