Pittsburgh's World Language Connection Conference 2017
Fox Chapel Area High School is proud to announce the third annual Pittsburgh's World Language Connection Conference November 7, 2017, at Fox Chapel Area High School from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. The theme this year will be Classroom Connections. This is a great opportunity for those who teach world and classical languages, ESL, social studies, music, art, and all others who are interested in fostering innovative instructional methodology in order to enhance their global offerings. Bring along your principals, curriculum directors, and administrators to learn more about how to enhance your school’s international programs through meaningful and proficiency-based instruction and learning.
Attendees will receive 5 Act 48 hours.
- Innovative instructional methodology
- Techniques to improve fluency
- Proficiency-based instruction and learning
- Promoting active use of the target language
- Information on international enrichment programs for students
- Information on the PSMLA Global Scholars Program
- Opportunities for international and intercultural service-learning and volunteer trips
- Introductory and intermediate sessions
We are pleased to announce that our keynote speaker will be Dr. Richard Donato who is a professor at the University of Pittsburgh and is the chair of the department of instruction and learning. His research includes early foreign language learning, language program assessment, sociocultural theory and second language acquisition, the discourse of collaboration, and foreign language teacher education.
During his general session, Dr. Donato will focus on the identification of a specific set of core practices, referred to as high leverage teaching practicies, that all teachers need to enact for language learning to occur in their classrooms.
Our confirmed speakers for the day are:
- Dr. Rick Donato, Professor at the University of Pittsburgh and chair of the department of instruction and learning
- Myriam Fontes, Fox Chapel Area High School Spanish teacher
- More speakers will be added soon. Please check back another time.
We also hope to feature the following at our Connection Opportunities Exhibit:
- Coming soon!
Our call for session proposals link is here: Call For Session Presentation Proposals (Please Click Here)
Our online registration form link is here: Pittsburgh's World Language Connection Day - Registration Form
Cost of the workshop is $75. The fee includes coffee and pastries in the morning, as well as the cost for lunch. To pay for registration please go to:
Pay Conference Registration Online
All registrations must be received by Monday, October 16 to:
Pittsburgh's World Language Connection Day
c/o Fox Chapel Area High School
611 Field Club Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15238